Adjustable Gastric Banding
The Gastric Band procedure is an effective option for patients who simply need help controlling their portion sizes. If you like to eat the whole pizza, this procedure might be for you!
By placing an adjustable silicone band around the top portion of the stomach, a sense of restriction and fullness are created which allows you to fill full on a much smaller portion of good quality food.
This procedure doesn’t involve any cutting or re-routing of intestine, so it is the least invasive of the procedures that we offer, but it also involves more work and discipline from the patient, as there are no built-in appetite suppressors such as reduction in grehlin, malabsorption, or dumping syndrome. As a result, this procedure produces the slowest weight loss of any of the options we offer.
Resolution of weight-related illness is achievable, but will not happen until you lose a significant amount of your excess body weight.
In addition, this procedure is not restrictive for soft foods such as cakes, pies, ice cream, chocolate, chips, candy, mashed potatoes, creamed soups, etc. A word of caution: if you are unable to forego the foods mentioned above, you may not be a good candidate for a band procedure.
- Limits food consumption
- Least invasive approach
- No stomach stapling, cutting or intestinal rerouting
- Lowest operative complication rate
- Lowest mortality rate
- Low malnutrition risk
- Slower Weight Loss
- No Built-In Appetite Suppressors
- Not Restrictive for Soft Foods
- Slower Resolution of Weight-Related Medical Conditions
- Maintenance/Adjustments Required
- Potential for inadequate weight loss or weight re-gain
- Find A Doctor
- Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
- Start Here
- Seminar Registration
- About Us
- Surgery Options
- Before and After
- Lifetime Support
- Contact Us - Georgetown Bariatrics & Metabolic Center
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Ear, Nose, & Throat
- Express Care
- Primary Care
- General Surgery
- Hospitalist Program
- Mother & Newborn
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Physical, Occupational, & Speech Therapy
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Sleep Clinic
- Specialty Clinic