Top Ten Reasons to Breastfeed
Some you may know; others may surprise you!
1. Increases Baby's IQ
Breastfeeding has been shown to increase your baby's (IQ).!
2. Helps mom lose that baby fat.
Breastfeeding helps tap into those stores and reduce the fat deposits laid down in pregnancy.
3. Breastfed babies are less likely to die of SIDS.
While we don't know what causes SIDS, we do know what the risk factors are, which includes using formula to feed your baby. Breastmilk is one of the few factors that you can control.
4. Reduced allergies for breastfed babies.
Breastfeeding your baby causes baby to have fewer allergies. Nursing also lowers the risk that your child will suffer from upper respiratory infections, ear infections, etc.
5. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you breastfeed.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that your baby begin breastfeeding within the first hour of life and that they only receive breastmilk until they are older.
6. Breastfeeding burns calories!
Breastfeeding requires about 500 calories a day to simply produce the milk.
7. Formula increases the risk of diabetes (type I).
Infants who were expressly breastfed for at least 5 months with no formula had lower rates of Type I diabetes. The longer they were breastfed, the lower the risk.
8. Post-birth benefits are also many.
By breastfeeding your body releases a hormone, oxytocin, that helps your uterus contract. This can reduce your risk of postpartum hemorrhage or the need for other medications.
9. Cancers decrease with breastfeeding too.
Breastfeeding can help lower the incidence of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, etc.
10. Breastfeeding lowers the risk of obesity.
Not only will breastfeeding make your child more lean and healthy, it will help reduce days missed at work for illnesses.
- Find A Doctor
- Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Ear, Nose, & Throat
- Express Care
- Primary Care
- General Surgery
- Hospitalist Program
- Mother & Newborn
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Physical, Occupational, & Speech Therapy
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Sleep Clinic
- Specialty Clinic